Ads Top

"Not sure if anyone cares anymore, but I think I've definitively figured out how the Legendary Dogs' pathing works in G/S/C"


I know there's several guides out there giving advice on how to make it easier to catch the 3 dogs (usually involves flying over and over to the same city and then running over to nearby grass to catch them) but I didn't find anything online explaining how they actually move around the map. Which I think I've cracked. It's actually super simple lol.Here it is: The dogs jump between adjacent routes with grass patches in them each time you change location, and occasionally1 will teleport to a random location. As I think everyone knows, they'll also port to a random location if you use Fly.A change in location would be any time you move from one route to another, or enter a building, or a cave, or change levels in a cave, etc.2Yea, it's really that straightforward. But it seems really confusing if you're not aware of whats happening, since sometimes the space between patches of grass can be really far apart and because you often have multiple location changing events right in a row/between patches of grass.Here's a couple hastily made infographics to make it a little clearer:http://ift.tt/2dsKIo1 letter represents a route with a patch of grass the dogs could be in, and the citys (and lake) are marked in their respective colors. The dogs can jump between any letter that's not blocked by another letter. Below, I've smoothed out the layout of the letters, and charted out the possible paths a dog can take from any given patch:http://ift.tt/2cCR0Ly represent the city/lake you can fly to. Each perpendicular line represents a location change event you'd have to pass through to get between patches by walking. Directional lines are location events that are one-way, eg, you have to hop a ledge you can't get back up except through flying. The dotted red line coming off of "I" is for Dark Cave, which you can run through to get to "K" in just two events but the dogs cannot travel through.Now this is why it seems like the dogs are just teleporting around the map, or that they never really stay in one location for long. Take for example, you're at location C, and you see a dog is at location B. It seems close, but you're going to go through three location events to walk there. So you're surprised when you show up at B, and now your dog is way over at M. But really, it's just three changes away.Now, it's honestly probably still most efficient to just use the "fly over and over until you get lucky" method, since you can't corner the dogs efficiently since you always have at least two location events between you and a corner (A & O). However, I've been using this map as a guide for where I travel to and it's led me to be able to catch Suicune and Raikou within about two hours of play time (I've got Entei on the ropes at 1hp too but he's being slippery). The major advantage comes because when a dog is on a string of patches with only two paths off each letter (ex, J-L-K-M, or E-F-G-H) they generally3 seem to head in the same direction the whole way through. You can semi-reliably predict where a dog will be after a certain number of location events.Anyway, not so sure that anyone even gives a shit about OG G/S/C anymore. Not sure if they used the same mechanics in HG/SS or anything either. But like I said I hadn't seen any theory/method like this anywhere else so I thought I'd share. Thanks for reading.Footnotes:1. Occasionally: Seems to be either step based, or based on a number of battle encounters, but I don't think it's time based. I say this because I've sat in one location for a long time, and it didn't change positions. But I've been in the same patch of grass as one before and then after about ten battle encounters of not finding it, I'll check and it's in some random ass location.2. I've noticed some inconsistencies with this specifically when entering/exiting caves and building rapidly. Like, you enter a building and then immediately exit, and you'd expect two movements from the dogs but sometimes they haven't moved at all, or they've only moved one space. Possibly due to a "cooldown" on using the same location event.3. It's like maybe 75% of the time. Haven't found if there's anything beyond random chance determining when or why they switch directions. via /r/pokemon http://ift.tt/2d67kaV
"Not sure if anyone cares anymore, but I think I've definitively figured out how the Legendary Dogs' pathing works in G/S/C" "Not sure if anyone cares anymore, but I think I've definitively figured out how the Legendary Dogs' pathing works in G/S/C" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 00:28 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.