Ads Top

"[Research]Yet another test of distance tracking with and without GO+."


#PokemonGO: Hello fellow Trainers, since the GO+ release there's been some discussion if the device makes distance tracking more accurate. A few tests have been done already, but often they conflict with one another - some testers found out that the Plus indeed adds accuracy, especially when the users are not walking in a straight line, others said that it's less accurate or the same as the app alone.I've owned a Plus for a month too so I'm quite interested in this matter. What is better for getting distance tracked efficiently? Using just the app? The Plus while the phone is locked or the app is in background? Or both the app with the Plus?Today I tested all three options. I did three laps of the same route - according to Sports Tracker app, it's about 1060m on this screenshot, but I'm going to assume my walk was 1.1km long, as I averaged the distance from the three laps, which due to GPS drift weren't showing up as identical, also I tried to walk the same paths as close to as possible, using the same pace but some slight error is to be expected. The route has a few turns, and at one point I'm doing almost a 180 degree hairpin (that's where we lose the most distance in PoGo). I've used eggs for tracking the distance, unlike most other tests which use buddies - I find this method inaccurate, as buddy distance is displayed with 0.1km accuracy, while eggs display their tracked distance with 0.01km accuracy.Before each lap I popped an egg into an incubator, then when I was back at the starting point, I waited a few minutes for the distance to refresh in my app before using another incubator and starting the next lap.First lap: app open all the time, Plus not connected.Before the lap - we're looking at the limited use incubator with 0km.After the lap - 0.79km added. Missing about 300m from actual covered distance.Second lap: app open all the time, Plus connected but used only for distance tracking, I kept it in my pocket - notifications are disabled since I'm using the app to catch Pokemon and spin stops anyway.Before the lapAfter the lap: overall viewLap 1 egg - 1.9km now, 1.9km minus 0.79km from the previous lap = 1.11kmLap 2 egg - 1.11km. I'd say it's dead-on with the distance I actually covered.Third lap: phone locked, Plus connected and used for catching Pokemon & spinning stops. When I arrived at the start/finish point, I just stood there and didn't open the app for a minute or two, then I opened the app and waited another minute before taking the screenshots of the incubators.Before the lapLap 1 egg - 2.78km. Minus the 1.9km from the two previous laps = 0.88km.Lap 2 egg - 1.99km. After subtracting the 1.11km from the first lap on this egg, we get 0.88km during this lap too.Lap 3 egg - 0.88km, as expected when looking at the other two eggs. Around 220m less than actual covered distance.Conclusions/TL:DR:Having the app open in foreground with GoPlus connected gives you the most distance. When using the Plus with a locked phone or the app in the background, you're getting about 850-900m every 1km you walk. Using the app alone awards you the least amount of distance, around 800m every 1km walked, still pretty good though, especially when we consider that when the game launched, it tracked only about 500-600m every 1km.Thanks for reading!edit: Many of you say that my research needs more data, and I totally agree. I'll try to do more laps and then come back with the results. When the snow stops falling here :/ however, stay tuned! via /r/TheSilphRoad http://ift.tt/2iaeECT
"[Research]Yet another test of distance tracking with and without GO+." "[Research]Yet another test of distance tracking with and without GO+." Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 00:47 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.