Ads Top

"Converted my POGO+ to Usb 5v powered!"


#PokemonGO: So I got really tired of constantly buying expensive cr2032 batteries for my pogo+. While you can get weeks of battery life or more sometimes out of one, I find that even after a few days the voltage drops a bit and it becomes less effective. Pairing gets harder, and it lags more so using it while driving is less effective.So I decided to convert it. The idea was to use one of those power pack batteries they make for charging cell phones. Not only is the capacity on them amazing but the biggest advantage is of course constant good voltage and recharging.Of course the issue is that they output 5V and the pogo+ likes 3v. So I bought a little usb converter on ebay for 99 cents shipped. It converts usb to 3.3v which is actually perfect.Since it already is like a usb stick, it can plug right into any of these chargers or any standard phone charger.Then all I had to do was wire the other end. I found out that a 4 pin power connector for a pc fan fits perfectly on the pins of the little device. So I killed an old fan I had and hooked it up.Before moving onto the next step, I plugged it into a charger, and tested the voltage coming out with a volt meter. Sure enough it was about 3.2v. Perfect.Then I popped off the pogo+ cover and did a test run by just wrapping the wires around the negative and positive connections in there carefully. I hit the button and it went to flashing blue! So success!The next part was the scary bit, as it was sort of the point of no return. I had to break off a bit of the inside plastic on the inside of the pogo+ which usually keeps the battery snug. This was so I could get better access to the positive connection point in it.After that I did some of my wonderfully awful soldering to attach the wires to the positive and negative connections. I also put a bit of electrical tape in there just to keep the connections seperated properly.I also cut a bit of a notch out of the cover so the wires could come out with the cover screwed back on.The next part was a disapointment. The battery packs I have lieing around all seem to stay on or off based on something drawing current. Since the pogo+ uses very little current, the battery packs just shut off after a short amount of time...Otherwise this works perfectly though. It works really well on the 3.3v, very strong and non laggy. Like having a super fresh cr2032 battery.The design is pretty modular so it can be easily connected to a variety of stuff that powers things via usb. Car chargers, pcs, etc.Currently I am irritated that I cant find a way around the battery pack shutting off though.The end game goal would be to get one of those tiny like lipstick or usb stick size ones so its still just as portable as before. The issue is finding one with an on off button or an easy way to mod one to have one.It has been connected for a full hour right now just on a wall charger for a phone. Working better than ever before.If anyone knows of a cheap battery pack without the auto on/off or a good way to mod that, please let me know. All in all this was a very cheap and easy project and worked extremely well.Here is a link to a gallery showing some of the steps and it working. http://ift.tt/2oHPBKo me know what you guys think! via /r/TheSilphRoad http://ift.tt/2opJZZ8
"Converted my POGO+ to Usb 5v powered!" "Converted my POGO+ to Usb 5v powered!" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 16:44 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.