Ads Top

"I don't want to use a Pikachu again: A support for Black/White's "reboot" approach"


The Pokemon community is generally pretty split on the "reboot" format that Black/White pursued in Gen 5. Specifically, the fact that the Unova region contained only new Pokemon introduced in Gen 5.I wanted to make a post explaining why I think this format should be the standard moving forward. To give context, I wasn't a huge fan of either X/Y or Sun/Moon. While I can understand and appreciate the large Pokemon selection offered in both Kalos and Alola, I found both game to be stale BECAUSE of this format.There is something underwhelming about setting out on an adventure in Kalos/Unova and finding the standard early-game 'mons on the first few routes. I mean, these are the same Pokemon I used in previous generations, why do I care to use them again? Sure, I have my favorites I'm happy to see appear again, but when you boil it down, I've already used them. I've already PLAYED this game. Sure I'm exploring a new region, but what's the point of new scenery if it doesn't validate it's uniqueness with new Pokemon on each route? They may have new moves peppered into their movesets but generally all Pokemon boil down to certain RPG tropes anyways.Black and White forced you to use, learn, and appreciate the strengths of a ton of new Pokemon. It didn't give you the option to resort back to Pokemon you know and love. This was jarring, of course, but I also think it helped to recapture some of that "wtf is THAT thing" feelings that made some of our earliest Pokemon adventures as dazzling as they were. I can admit that nostalgia may play a part in this, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that a good portion of the Pokemon fanbase plays these games solely to experience the new Pokemon. You didn't immediately know how to deal with threats. Every random encounter felt exciting and every gym/E4 battle felt like a fresh challenge (Elesa's Emolga come to mind).I think the "reboot" format that Black/White pursued was a breath of fresh air into the series because, for the first time, Unova felt like a wholly different place. Sure, alot of the Pokemon introduced in B/W filled similar roles to those in RBY, but it was different enough to keep me going. With the new mix of old/new Pokemon, I get irritated running into Wingull-after-Wingull on early routes, or seeing a gym leader using Pokemon I've battled before (and knowing exactly how to beat them.)What do you all think? via /r/pokemon http://ift.tt/2fnmKfk
"I don't want to use a Pikachu again: A support for Black/White's "reboot" approach" "I don't want to use a Pikachu again: A support for Black/White's "reboot" approach" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 17:58 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.