Ads Top

"I made IRL Pokemon GO gifts for my local community!"


#PokemonGO: Sometime after the Halloween event, I had an idea to make gift boxes in the shape of the Pokemon GO gifts to hand out for the December community day. Since community day was earlier than expected I hadn't finished in time, but I was still able to hand out a bunch to the local NYC players in time for Christmas! I made 150 gifts, which was probably a bit ambitious haha. But I wanted to make sure I had enough to hand out because the NYC Pogo community is just a wonderful group of people!A finished gift, ready for a trainer! Inside are chocolates, candy cane, a metal team keychain, a random Pokemon card, a random Pokemon sticker, and a message from Professor Willow!It took about two months to get all the supplies together and craft the boxes. I ordered the keychains in bulk online, which meant I needed to order over 100 so I got 150. Then I thought it would be cute to have chocolates with the team colors because everyone loves chocolates, and the Lindt ones have the sphere shape of rare candies. Saw candy canes on sale later on so I got those too. My brain thought, let's keep going and get some Pokemon cards and stickers, it'll be like catching a Pokemon in the gift! There were foils in the pack as well so it's like a chance at catching shinies haha. I photoshopped the Professor Willow card and had them printed to tie everything together.​Buying the items to put inside wasn't as time consuming as making the boxes. It took awhile to figure out how to make them in the most efficient way and using as little cardstock as possible - the sloped sides of the fuchsia base threw me for a loop. I probably made about 6 or 7 different drafts before coming up with this design, and then going to a bunch of paper stores to find the right color/weight of cardstock. Each box was cut and glued together by hand - in hindsight it would've been more efficient to send the work out to laser cutting company. But slowly it all came together, and I was happy with the final product! I still have a bunch left over, so I suppose I'll have to hand them out for the January community day instead. Happy Holidays Trainers!About a fifth of the gifts piled up.A little behind the scenes process of creating the boxes.This was an earlier draft without the white stripe. In each gift I also included a message from Professor Willow and a metal team keychain!Filling the gifts with keychains and rare candies (Lindt chocolates in the team colors and candy canes!) via /r/pokemongo http://bit.ly/2A9w0dW
"I made IRL Pokemon GO gifts for my local community!" "I made IRL Pokemon GO gifts for my local community!" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 03:08 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.