Ads Top

"Predicting In-Game Weather - YES YOU CAN!"


#PokemonGO: As promised, here's everything I know about predicting in-game weather.About a year ago, the owner of our local discord asked me if I thought it might be possible to predict in-game weather. I looked around (including here) for everything I could find; most of that information was contradictory. I got a few good hints - a lot of people thought Niantic might be using AccuWeather hourly forecasts (they are) and someone, somewhere (forgive me if it's you and I can't remember you) suggested that they might be using 8 hour blocks of forecasts (they do).I figured the easiest way to get to the bottom of this mystery was to build a web app that would pull the hourly forecasts, try to figure out how they translated to in-game weather, and then let me mark my predictions as correct or incorrect, gradually revising and perfecting my translation algorithm.First: I believe Niantic uses level 10 s2 cells for weather. I think. Our town is small enough that it's really hard to say for sure.Second: If you want to try this yourself, at minimum you will need an AccuWeather API key and the correct location code for use with the hourly forecast API (or you can wing it with the web version of the hourly forecast, but that's not as accurate).​Third: PULL TIMES SOMETIMES FLUCTUATE. For a long time, it was happening at 6 am EST. Then it changed to 3 am EST. For a while it was 1 am EST. Right now, I *think* it's back to 6 am EST but our weather has been super-stable the last few days and the only way I can tell that I've got the pull time wrong is when the forecast changes a lot from hour to hour.If you want to try out the web app yourself, I've put the code on GitHub. RNGbus be with you if you do, because my code is not always pretty and I wrote it for myself so it is also not terribly well documented (it's also a .NET Web API with an AngularJS front end, so, y'know, godspeed). I ported it over in a hurry, so I've included db create and insert scripts as well.Basically:There is (for the most part, except when it's windy) a 1:1 relationship between AccuWeather Icon IDs and in-game weather boosts (you can also predict the in-game weather effects like if it's raining, how much it's raining, etc, which vary from the boosts in some cases, but... why? I only care about weather boosts, ymmv).I posted my translation table here. There is a column for Windy Override - some weathers can become windy under the right circumstances (AFAIK this is when the wind speed is greater than 24 km/h OR the wind gust speed is greater than 35 km/h). Wind took the longest to figure out.Some weathers can never be windy. Anything that translates to Rain or Snow in-game cannot be windy. In addition to this, AccuWeather icons that have precipitation in the name (i.e. 'cloudy w/showers, partly-cloudy w/ t. storms') ALSO cannot become windy. Fog probably can't become windy but I mean if it's windy, it's not foggy, so who knows.​Lastly, I live in south/central Ontario; we have never seen 'Hot' or 'Cold' as an icon. I have no idea what those translate to.I know I'm not the only person who has figured this stuff out - I'd love to hear from the rest of you, particularly about your observations on pull times. I'm now trying to figure out if those are global or regional. via /r/TheSilphRoad http://bit.ly/2RA9lNG
"Predicting In-Game Weather - YES YOU CAN!" "Predicting In-Game Weather - YES YOU CAN!" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 20:08 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.