Ads Top

"Pokemon Black/White appreciation from the perspective of someone who's never played a pokemon game before"


I've never owned a video game console, so much of my Pokemon experience as a kid was watching my friends play (what I now recognize to be) Gen III/IV games and wondering what the hell a "Groudon" was. By the time I realized you could use an emulator, none of my friends were playing, and I no longer had any inclination to do so.I played Pokemon Go for a few weeks, and while I eventually got tired of it, I did become interested in actually playing a Pokemon game all the way through. Arbitrarily, I decided I'd play Pokemon Black.It might be because I've been emotionally numbing myself gaming-wise with multiplayer-only titles for the past couple years, but it was genuinely one of the most moving experiences I've had playing a video game. The story is super, super simple. The characters are all very straightforward, with the deepest of them scraping by with 2-ish dimensions. Given these minimal narrative tools, the story somehow manages to be incredibly well-executed. The spirit of friendship that's written into the cast, and the overall optimism of the story-line, is so unashamed, unprocessed, and sincere that it almost has to work.I'm now in the awkward position of only being familiar with Gen I (because of Pokemon Go) and Gen V (because of Pokemon Black) Pokemon, but I enjoyed the new Pokemon designs in Gen V, about as much as I did with the Gen I Pokemon. Perhaps this is because I only really became familiar with Gen I Pokemon a few weeks before playing Pokemon Black. I have no nostalgia filter to look through.The visual and sound design of the game were actually incredible. I've never been so blown away as I was crossing Skyarrow Bridge, when I decided to slow the fuck down and actually walk, not run, across the bridge, and talk to all the pedestrians to ask them what was up. I also thought that the soundtrack characterized the different geographic locations pretty well too.Obviously the game has deep and intrinsic flaws--seeing as I haven't played any other Pokemon game, I can really only speak to the ones I see in Black and try generalizing them, instead of making any comparisons between games. The game is fundamentally fairly simple in the "campaign" mode; while I understand that PVP is actually complex as hell, the actual meat of what Pokemon will be for most people (a casual experience) is basically consulting a rock-paper-scissors chart to figure things out. And I think that there are fairly tedious grind-y elements to walking through dungeons and whatnot that I did not particularly enjoy.I think I've realized, in playing a Pokemon game for the first time, that what Pokemon does best is create an attachment between the player and the Pokemon party. I had been with all the Pokemon that I used to take on the Elite Four for a fairly long time. I invented personalities and mannerisms for all of them, and I felt like we were a real team.At the end of the game, right before I fought N, I caught Reshiram. To my surprise, the game was programmed to let me swap in Reshiram, even though I had a full party. After realizing this, I thought for a few seconds, and decided that no, I didn't want the legendary in my party. It hadn't gotten me through several gyms, Victory Road, and the Elite Four. I thought that if I was going to end this game, I was either going to do it with all six of my team or not at all. And this was honestly never a feeling I'd experienced playing a video game before.So yeah. Pokemon Black was a ton of fun, and while I understand (?) that Black/White may not be the most popular anymore, I really enjoyed it. via /r/pokemon http://ift.tt/2ayY7Xl
"Pokemon Black/White appreciation from the perspective of someone who's never played a pokemon game before" "Pokemon Black/White appreciation from the perspective of someone who's never played a pokemon game before" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 14:24 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.