Ads Top

"Thank you, Pokemon Go for making my dog's last month extra special."


#PokemonGO: Unbeknownst to my husband and I, our 11 year old rotti/shepherd was likely suffering from lymphoma. She was elderly and arthritic but generally living a happy dog life, well managed with medication and special food. We noticed she was losing weight but didn't realize how much until she went to the vet Friday and we learned she lost 15 pounds in 3 months. We have a nice big yard so we were frequently lazy dog owners, letting her go to the bathroom in the yard and not going for walks as often as we should. She loved walks but couldn't really go very far.When Pokemon Go came out, I quickly learned that the little quarter mile loop around my subdivision had a few great spawn sites. I walked her everyday around that loop and on a few other walks that were probably a little further than I should have let her go, but that she thoroughly enjoyed. Being the impatient and imperfect human that I am, on prior walks, pre-pokemon go, I would get a little annoyed with the slow pace her old body required. This slow pace was perfect for playing Pokemon and we were both happy on these summer walks.On Sunday, the time came that we had to say goodbye. Our local emergency vet was amazing and had a great procedure for the final trip. They had a big couch in a low lit "comfort room" so she never had any of the nervousness a dog can get in a new clinical environment. This is her last picture, moments before the vet entered the room. That smile is priceless.I have so many great memories of our times together this past month. I have pics of her sniffing pokemon before I caught them. Of us lounging on a lawn in front of a church waiting for a pokestop to refresh. (That was one of those stretch walks we did.)Life gets busy and it's easy to open the door to the yard rather than taking the 10 minutes to go around the block. I'm forever grateful to this game for giving us such a wonderful last month together. Hug your pets extra tonight for me!ImgurETA: anyone know how to fix the link so the picture will preview? Actually, I'm going to leave it as is so viewing is optional.Edit 2: A poster below asked me to share her name. Here is a bit more of her story.Her name is Faith. She was a southern rescue to my northern state. The /r/thathappened guy really won't believe my post once I add in these details. She came with that name and we never changed it. She was 4 months old when we got her. As a young pup, her mom had been hit by a car and her and her brothers were found nursing off their deceased mom. She wasn't getting adopted down there and it was a kill shelter. A local to me rescue featured her on Petfinder and I fell in love. She looked just like my in-laws dog that we loved. The local rescue arranged a transport chain where different people would drive her an hour or two all the way up to us. I blurred out her tags in the picture because it showed other personal information in addition to her name that I didn't want to put online.Edit 3: For anyone else faced with the hard choice of when it is the end, I found a lot of comfort and guidance in this poem. http://ift.tt/2bp9kcG edit before bed: I realize in my normal state of mind I would find this post sad. I really was not trying to bring you all down with me. I actually posted this happy, reflecting back on the last month. If it makes you cry, I hope they are happy tears that she loved life and went out in comfort and style. via /r/pokemongo http://ift.tt/2bhA8Nb
"Thank you, Pokemon Go for making my dog's last month extra special." "Thank you, Pokemon Go for making my dog's last month extra special." Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 20:42 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.