Ads Top

"Data collection on time between distance updates"


#PokemonGO: After playing moderately seriously every day since release (Level 30 suburban player, driving around for an hour every night to collect 100 coins daily), I woke up on Sunday and had absolutely no interest in playing anymore, despite the game being in the best state its ever been. But prior to that I had started accumulating data, during my nightly 5mi run, on how often the distance tracker updates. I couldnt remember ever seeing any research on this - maybe its helpful or someone finds it interesting. (Or maybe its old news and useless and I just didnt realize it - oh well)MethodologyTimes were noted using the time displayed for my run on my Garmin 920XT.I would use the first few ticks during the warmup of my run to get an idea of the tick time by glancing at my phone every 30 seconds or so until I noticed I had recently missed one. I then knew about what time the next tick would be - I would run until about 10 seconds before the tick window was approaching and then would walk while I stared at my phone.Once I had my first exact tick time, I would run until the next tick was approaching and then walk while waiting for it.All tick times were noted in the same method - holding phone in left hand, watch on left wrist, I would see the tick and the rotate my wrist to check the timestamp on my watch. The delay was probably about 1 second, but all data points are the delta between two measurements, so as long as I used the same method every time the measure-ers bias cancels out.I disregarded any data set where I could not get at least 5 consecutive data points (meaning 6 consecutive ticks). All data points within a set are always consecutive - if I missed a tick I did not take any more measurements for the rest of that run.I mostly ran the same course every time, but where the measurements were taken varied based on when I was able to pinpoint the initial tick - sometimes I got it within the first mile, sometimes not until 20 minutes into the run. I tried to maintain about a 9:30min/mi pace while running to not lose egg progress.Data(Time between distance updates- minutes:seconds)1234564:004:244:014:024:004:074:004:054:224:034:064:084:184:064:054:224:034:034:024:014:014:234:064:274:104:054:024:034:094:034:104:05----4:05----4:04----4:04----4:10----4:06----4:19----4:03--ObservationsDespite some wide variation, I never once observed a tick to come LESS than 4:00 after a previous tick. Never even 3:59.Regardless of bad connection lag or anything else that might have caused individual "outlier" measurements (anything in the 4:2x's), that time was never "made up for" on the next tick.Does tick time make a difference for speed/distance and whether you get credit or not? Is the accepted speed of 9:12min/mi assuming a 4:00 tick time, or does it need to be adjusted when factoring in actual tick time? Opportunities for further study and research :) via /r/TheSilphRoad http://ift.tt/2eTsQkC
"Data collection on time between distance updates" "Data collection on time between distance updates" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 20:55 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.