Ads Top

"Gen I Pokémon need some improvement"


Before, I was thinking to myself how hard it is to dislike most Pokémon, as nearly all of them have something redeemable about them, making me realise I only dislike two Pokémon overall. However, I did realise there were a decent amount of Pokémon that felt lackluster, and sadly enough, it's a large majority of Gen I Pokémon.As the generations have come and gone, I've noticed that Gen I Pokémon, compared to most modern Pokémon, are pretty underwhelming. Whereas the designs and names of the Gen I mons have a habit of being lackluster, it's something deeply rooted into the series and changing them at all could cause problems, however, that's not what I'm talking about here.I'm talking about actually playing with them. One thing I've always said is that Gen V feels like Gen I done right, as I feel a decent amount of Pokémon from Gen V take similar concepts as Gen I mons and pull them off much better. For the most part, I was meaning design wise when I meant this, but even in a gameplay point of view, this point still stands.Simply put, Gen I Pokémon have kind of a 'relic' problem, as in they were designed for Gen I and haven't really changed much since. Granted, Mega Evolutions and regular evolutions has somewhat remedied this, but a decent chunk of Gen I Pokémon are still in a place where they don't stand out compared to other Pokémon of similar typings and use.Take Victreebel for example. It's got good attack stats, and somewhat decent stats everywhere else. It only has one regular ability, Chlorophyll, and one hidden ability, Gluttony. In terms of coverage moves, it learns Poison, Grass, Dark and Bug moves, one of which typing is exclusive to a move taught via move tutor and the other move typing, Bug, can only be obtained via TM, meaning that Victreebel will only really have Normal, Grass and Poison moves, which is a shockingly shallow variety of move types to use.While it is true that some Pokémon in newer gens have only 2 abilities and lackluster movesets, Victreebel has had this problem for 20 years, and that's not the only Pokémon with problems that are very much in need of improvement eitherEdit: Dewgong suffers pretty horrifically too. It's essentially got worse as the gens have went on:In Gen I, it was seen as a 'lesser Lapras' in terms of stats, it also has a shallower movepoolIn Gen II, it's Sp Attack stat was lowered by 15 pointsIn Gen II, it gains a new ability, Thick Fat, making it slightly better against Fire types and makes Ice types increasingly harder to use against it. Unfortunately, a Pokémon with the exact same typing and ability, but with better stats, Walrein is introducedIn Gen IV, the physical/special split happens, making half of Dewgong's STAB moves much less potent. Dewgong now gets Hydration in attempts to make it different fron WalreinIn Gen V, Dewgong now gets Ice Body, one of the few positives it's ever been givenIn Gen VI, many Gen I Pokémon get stat boosts and quite a few get Mega Evolutions. Dewgong is not one of themIn Gen VII, Dewgong's situation from Gen VI has pretty much stayed the same via /r/pokemon http://ift.tt/2lwSMTd
"Gen I Pokémon need some improvement" "Gen I Pokémon need some improvement" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 18:03 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.