Ads Top

"The ONE thing I wish they could change from the Pokemon games"


Age references!!!I have always played Pokemon to immerse myself in the game. And when I was a child, I played through the game while being able to bond with my character. It was an extension of myself, and that made it feel so much better.In the older games, there were light mentions of a general age range, but nothing much. People didn't treat you like a child, and rarely ever referred to you as a child. When you won a battle, they didn't say "so young, so strong" or something similar. When you won an enemy battle, they didn't say "can't believe I got beat by a kid" or something similar.Now, the capabilities of the Pokemon games are much deeper. They can make it so that there are age ranges (i.e. child, teenager, adult). They don't need to fix the character model. It's a nice height that can cover all three age ranges.In the recent games, they have been referring to the character as "11 years old" or "young child" or whatever. I'm hating that reference, because I'm 23 now. It feels like I'm playing as another person, rather than myself.They should remove those references. They did it for 6 generations.EDIT: A lot of people are talking about coming of age issues with the side characters. I agree that it's important to keep that, but I think the best way to keep those side characters with the same plotline is to remove references to age entirely. People can then make their own associations their own way. Children will consider them as children. People like me will consider Hau and Lillie as young adults who are just exploring a new world. Believe it or not, at age 23, we're still learning everything about the world and "coming of age" happens even in old age. The ability to grow is never removed.Remove words like "young" or "age 11" or "child." It will still work 100% to the younger audiences, but it will allow people to connect more with their character.EDIT2: Some people are saying that the purpose of an RPG is to play another character. But in reality the purpose of an RPG is to play it as you want to play it, especially for games that have unnamed and customizable protagonists. RPG gaming is freedom in your hands, and removing the choices is disappointing in an RPG game for most people.EDIT3: Some people are asking me to grow up. Sorry, in a world where I have to care about finances, business, relationships, and body health, it's nice to kick back and relax. There's a reason why the primary age range of video gamers is 18 to 30 now. Plus now I can afford whatever the hell I want! via /r/pokemon http://ift.tt/2hMJ17o
"The ONE thing I wish they could change from the Pokemon games" "The ONE thing I wish they could change from the Pokemon games" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 10:27 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.