Ads Top

"Test of newly expanded visual range since the last update"


#PokemonGO: I'm really liking this newly expanded visual field that's been reported since the latest update. All of a sudden, the number of gyms I can see has increased from 2 to 5. But one of them is just barely within range of what I can see. In fact, it's so close to the edge that a tiny amount of GPS drift is enough to make it vanish. So, I thought I would take the opportunity to try to get as good a measure of the distance as I could.Previously, tests indicated that if any part of a level 15 or 16 S2 cell was overlapped by a 500 meter radius circle around your current location, then pokestops and gyms within those cells would be visible, even if only partially, as very distant ones would be somewhat obscured by a sort of haze. For my part, level 15 S2 cells fit my observations better, and that is still the case.By pinning a few GPS locations as I drifted around, I was able to narrow the range down, and eventually came up with a more precise, less random test to confirm. The nearest point in the vanishing cell I was looking at was a corner, so by measuring a 640 meter radius circle from that corner, I found a location where I could simply cross a street to pass over the boundary. By luck, there happened to be a spot at an intersection near me that would work, making the location easy to mark. And just as expected, the gym disappeared at exactly the right moment as I crossed.This leads me to conclude that we can currently see any level 15 S2 cell within a 640 meter radius. Though that does mean that objects even a couple hundred meters farther than that may be visible at times. Details of my test are linked in the gallery below.http://bit.ly/2shYaiz via /r/TheSilphRoad http://bit.ly/2ACOPqj
"Test of newly expanded visual range since the last update" "Test of newly expanded visual range since the last update" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 09:55 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.