Ads Top

"My Dronpes is all grown up!"


#PokemonGO: ​My Dronpes​On September 24, 2017, another guy and I are were both waiting for a lobby to fill for a Raikou raid. I figured I'd introduce myself, as he looked normal enough and it seemed like we both might end up having to wait the entire raid window for a group to form.​A few minutes into chatting, he introduced himself, mentioning that he was u/Dronpes, and had been working on a project called the r/TheSilphRoad. This didn't change the conversation all that much (I was only somewhat familiar with the community at the time), except perhaps that I offered up some silly paranoid delusions around how I'm not convinced the game is as normal in statistical behavior as he wishes it to be.​We never did manage to form a large enough lobby to take on Raikou, but in response Dronpes created a local Discord group for the neighborhood, with me becoming member #2. We figured it would give us a chance to Duo Machamp raids and help us boost our rosters, even if it wouldn't be good enough to form legendary raid teams from the start (aside: "UWS Silph Road" has since become an active, large, and flourishing community, but that's a story for another day...).​Getting back to my apartment after Dronpes and I parted ways, I started sorting through my PoGo+ catches, and happened across a perfect IV Swinub. To mark the chance encounter, I decided to name her Dronpes.​Like her namesake, my Dronpes wasn't a very high level when we began our relationship. However, over the months I would find good excuses to power her up. "Power up a Pokemon 5 times" research was always a nice motivation. When the birds arrived onto the raid scene, it was a wonderful excuse to evolve Dronpes into a Piloswine and put in some non-forced work!​As Gen4 arrived though, a great FOMO dilemma surfaced... sure Mamoswine appears like it will be incredible right from the start, but what happens if in the future there is a Community Day featuring Swinub and my Dronpes has already been evolved to Mamoswine?!? This was actually a regular debate I had among some of PoGo peers, and ultimately I was convinced that once I could evolve Dronpes, I should just go for it, as it's ice attacks alone would surely mean I could use Dronpes without hesitation.​Well, as we all know by now, a few days after reaching the above conclusion Niantic did me a huge solid by announcing Mamoswine's release with the Swinub Community Day, hence erasing my FOMO. Getting the monster I want as soon as possible without FOMO is a true luxury, and it couldn't have happened to a better monster!​I don't see Dronpes' namesake as much these days (he moved out of town, though it was great to reconnect with him for a bit in Chicago at GoFest 2018!), but every time I see my even-more-new-and-improved Dronpes, I'm reminded of all of the great people I have met because of this game, and how much that is in thanks to the wonderful community that Niantic and Dronpes and all of you have created.​So kudos to all of you, and if you ever find yourself PvPing me in Master League, don't be shocked if my Dronpes sends her regards! via /r/TheSilphRoad http://bit.ly/2GNY9eD
"My Dronpes is all grown up!" "My Dronpes is all grown up!" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 22:03 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.