Ads Top

"I exhausted myself for science so you don't have to — Some experiments with Adventure Sync"


#PokemonGO: TL;DR at the bottom.GoalOften reaching the point where I come home and realize I just need a few hundred meters to finally hatch my eggs, I started to ask myself a few questions:Is it possible to just pace back and forth in my home to get the missing distance?Can I pop a star piece just in the middle of walking with Adventure Sync?If I do so, will Adventure Sync continue to count my steps afterwards or disregard my progress so far?Is there a cooldown before Adventure Sync resumes counting my steps if I open the game in the middle of a walk?Is there a cooldown before my progress will show up in Pokémon GO?PrerequisitesSamsung Galaxy S8Pokémon GO v0.139.3Google FitWiFi on, Location onMy flat which allows me to traverse roughly 20 meters straight across9× 7km eggs in super incubators, all same progress on distanceTest #19× 7km eggs in super incubators at 3.9 km (to be hatched at 4.7 km)Walk 400 metersPut the Smartphone down for 1 minuteOpen Pokémon GO, check egg distance to be at 4.3 km, pop a star piece, close Pokémon GOWalk 600 meters just to be surePut the Smartphone down for 1 minuteOpen Pokémon GO, eggs immediately start hatching.Result: I was able to use a star piece in the middle of a walk with Adventure Sync. Google Fit shows my 1 km walk as one uninterrupted entry, although I paused for roughly 2 minutes. Despite this, Adventure sync counted both halfs of my walk (before opening and after closing Pokémon GO) seperately.Test #2This one went a bit awkward because I miscalculated by 1km, which eventually proved to be a very useful datapoint.9× 7km eggs in super incubators at 0 km (to be hatched at 4.7 km)Walk 3.4 kmOpen Pokémon GO, check egg distance to be at 3.4 km, pop a star piece, close Pokémon GOWalk up to 3.94 kmOpen Pokémon GO, check egg distance to be at 3.9 km, feeling stupid because I thought eggs were about to hatch at 3.7 km instead of 4.7 km, close Pokémon GOIncreasing speed to get the missing distance into my star piece timeframeSprint up to 5 km in total, gaining extra cardio points in Google FitOpen Pokémon GO, eggs immediately start hatching.Result: This time I did not use a cooldown between walking and opening the game, and I opened the game twice during the walk. The distance was immediately attributed ingame. Furthermore, it was attributed correctly everytime I opened the game during the walk. Google fit shows my walk as one uninterrupted entry.Additional NoteWhile walking, I often checked/refreshed my stats on Google Fit.Conclusion/TL;DRYou can just walk around your home to gain distance (Yes, I know of the phone-in-sock-trick some people are using)There is no cooldown after walking when syncing distance to Pokémon GO. Distance walked was attributed immediately when opening the game after a walk — or even when still walking!It's safe to open the game, pop in a star piece, and close the game while walking with adventure sync. The distance walked so far will be attributed ingame, and the distance you walk after you close the game will resume to count until you open the game the next time.That was a fun little experiment, I hope it helps anybody out there who struggles with the idea of using a star piece while walking with the game closed.Edit: Minor text fixes via /r/TheSilphRoad http://bit.ly/2XVPMTR
"I exhausted myself for science so you don't have to — Some experiments with Adventure Sync" "I exhausted myself for science so you don't have to — Some experiments with Adventure Sync" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 22:40 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.