"Pokemon acquisition and distribution with a new generation of Pokemon [discussion]"

#PokemonGO: Wall of text, incomingSo I was reading a thread by /u/saxtonine and it got me back on an old train of thought, about how they kept gen 2 from completely diluting gen 1 spawns and availability. I figured I'd share these thoughts, and see if some people with better knowledge of the gens could piece together how gen 3 might be distributed.Gen 2 was rich with opportunities to minimize dilution, and I'll try and scratch off everything I can.The first method of distribution was eggs. By assigning babies to eggs, they actually freed up more space. Tyrogue replaced hitmonlee, and hitmonchan, reducing gen 1 egg rates by one type/slot. Other pokemon were replaced in eggs by gen 2 pokemon, including Electabuz, Magmar, Jynx, Jigglypuff, Clefairy, and Pikachu. This eliminates 6 pokemon from the situation by overlaying them with previous entries, splitting their hatches and wild spawns without any change to availability per se.Next is the evolution items. 8 total evolutions are only accessible by items. These prevent wild spawns from being necessary. 14 pokemon eliminated.Other pokemon are second, or third tier evolutions, and are best labeled as "Ultra Rare". The effect on spawn dilution would be almost zero. Tyranitar, Blissey, Lanturn, Togetic, Ampharos, Jumpluff, and Forretress. I thought about including magcargo, houndoom, and others here, but I think they're more of a geographic common, much like nidorans, or ekans/sandshrew from gen 1. 7 more off the 100 list brings us to 79 actual wild spawns to account for.2 spawns went regional with heracross and corsolla, filling a spawn gap from missing gen 1 regionals. 77 to account for.Delibird and Smeargle haven't been released, most likely due to abilities that can't be implemented yet. 75.And the catastrophically rare Unown. If you don't live in a large city, your odds of having one are exceedingly low. 746 legendaries only released in legendary raids if at all, have fallen into a new mechanic, with no wild spawns. 68 pokemon left.Espeon and Umbreon are only available through evolution tricks.I may be getting anecdotal at this point, but I've seen even less of gen 2 raid bosses Crocanaw, Bayleef, and Quilava, since the start of raids. I haven't seen any in quite some time to be honest.Out of the 100 gen 2 pokemon, Niantic managed to mitigate the dilution significantly between acquisition methods. Eggs, spawns, evolution, and raids. With gen 3 they will have a significantly more difficult task, but more tools at their disposal.Azurill and Wynaut will almost certainly replace Merrill and Wobbufet in eggs. Where to go from there?I don't know gen 3 well, but there are some easy write offs in the 135 new pokemon. Slaking is completely incompatible currently. By ability and power level. Will his line be eliminated? Who knows. Maybe they'll half his attack stat to reflect his truant ability. This would drag him down to the area of mewtwo I think, but I can't run that calculation properly. Anyone?Gen 3 has a fist full of legendary/mythical pokemon. Latios, Latias, the Regis, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys. We've got lots of room for legendary raids, and possibly EX raids (if they ever finish launching them....).6 pokemon will require evolution items.I'm sure we'll have a new set of ultra rares from rare families, including Metagross, Salamence, Aggron?, Gardevoir?, whoever else.How many more pokemon can we scratch off the "wild spawn" list because of evolution tricks like buddy walking?There's a lot of pokemon entering the wild to be mitigated. Unless a good number are pushed to event focused spawns, and rarity that requires hoping for nests, gen 3 could be exponentially more difficult to complete as a pokedex, as well as creating a massive gap between new players, and pre gen 3 players. Attempting to complete the regional pokedex could become a monumental task.People with more knowledge of gen 3 have any other suggestions? Probably regionals? Africa, mainland asia, and the south pacific, are all without regionals. via /r/TheSilphRoad http://ift.tt/2yJ04tU
"Pokemon acquisition and distribution with a new generation of Pokemon [discussion]"
Reviewed by The Pokémonger
on
19:26
Rating:


No comments