Ads Top

"Could PoGo help map defibrillators?"


#PokemonGO: I just saw a report on ITV News here in the UK about the lack of awareness of public defibrillators. I don't have a link to the TV report, but here's a link to an online article in case you're interested.Something which stood out to me from the report was that there are 30,000 out-of-hospital cardiac arrests in the UK every year, and only 3,000 of these people survive, with a defibrillator used in 3% of cases. While I imagine these devices could be more widespread, awareness that they are there in the first place is also crucial, and the charity British Heart Foundation is talking about mapping where these devices are.I happen to have a defibrillator close to where I live, attached to the wall of a nearby community centre. This community centre happens to be a Pokestop, and the only reason I have noticed the defib's existence is because I happened to spot it while looking for a Larvitar which spawned there one day. Even though it's attached to the exterior wall, I think it's easy to miss if you're not specifically looking for it.And then I thought, Ingress and Pokemon Go are all about mapping out local points of interest, and this would certainly qualify as one of those in my opinion. Why doesn't Niantic partner with the charity (and the health charities of other countries) to map these life-saving devices as Portals and Pokestops?Players of these games are people likely to be outside, and therefore more likely to stumble upon someone suffering from cadiac arrest, or bump into someone trying to get help. The fact they are aware of a nearby defib thanks to the game could easily save someone's life.I've tried to find a suggestion email for Niantic in the last few minutes but haven't had much luck, so I thought I'd see what the community thought. Is this something worth pushing for? via /r/TheSilphRoad https://ift.tt/2MdUJVJ
"Could PoGo help map defibrillators?" "Could PoGo help map defibrillators?" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 03:12 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.