Ads Top

"After finishing Lets Go Pikachu I can safely say that this one of the most polarizing games I've ever played in my life."


I just finished LGP earlier today and to be completely honest I still have no idea how I feel about the game as a whole. I told myself I wouldn't judge it at all until I had played through it all the way. The problem is I've done that now and all I can say is that I have a giant confused feeling left in me.It just seems like for every pro or enjoyable moment that I had in the game there was a negative that seemed to cancel it out for me and they just seemed to be bizarre and poor design choices that could have been avoided for the most part. I'll lay out what I liked about this, my neutral thoughts on the game, and what I didn't like so maybe you guys can help me figure out how to feel because to be honest this weird 'eh' feeling is driving me insane.Pros:The game is absolutely gorgeous. I love the design choice they went here. It's vibrant and colorful while not being obnoxious about it.The music sounds amazing. I'm pretty sure it's nostalgia kicking in but oh boy did I enjoy it. I could probably listen to it casually for a little bit every once in a while. Very rarely do I get that feeling with a Pokemon game.The over world spawning Pokemon. I understand this probably can't return for Gen 8 since they'd have to make hundreds of sprites/designs for the Pokemon but man I enjoyed the hell out of this feature. Being able to breeze through caves/grass is such a quality of life improvement. Plus it makes being able to hunt for a specific Pokemon much more enjoyable and time efficient.Sticking with the no HM moves needed to clear obstacles. This is such a huge quality of life improvement that I really hope they stick with going forward. I know this was in Gen 7 already but man it really makes the game more enjoyable. Especially because the move pool is small enough as it is, IMHO.I very much enjoyed the level curve being better than it was in Gen 1 and Gen 3. At least I think it was as I can't say definitively because it's been a while since I'v played through Kanto in one of those games.Now that we've got some stuff out of the way I'll list the things that I have very neutral thoughts about.Neutral Thoughts:The Pokemon riding. It's really cool to hop up on some of your favorite Pokemon that are big enough to carry you throughout the world.... But it's super clunky. Maybe it's because of the controller layouts (which is definitely a negative) but it seems like they can be a bit difficult to control sometimes. Especially when you're in a cave and trying to avoid a ladder to approach a Pokemon and you suddenly climb up/down because the radius for triggering that is much larger now... but only sometimes. It's just frustrating but it's hard to stay mad when you're on riding on top of a Arcanine.Wild Pokemon battles be taken out of this game. I don't really feel strongly about this one way or the other as I see both sides. I like grinding much more by fighting wild Pokemon (probably for other reasons though) compared to having catch Pokemon to level up. But it's also a nice change of pace from the norm and can be fun every once in a while (Though this will have a negative comment from me later on)Red, Blue, and Green being in the game. I like that they're in there but it bothers me that their Pokemon teams aren't built on anything specific aside from their starters. Like it annoys me way more than it should that Red/Blue don't have their teams from the OG games or at the very least their manga counterparts. But for as much of an annoyance as that was it was really cool seeing Blue pop up in the world and interact with it. I enjoyed that a lot. So it's kind of a wash for me, tbh.And now for everybody's favorite thing the negative moments. Like everything else in this post this is just my opinion and if you disagree that's totally okay with me. This all subjective stuff so I totally get where people could like this stuff even though I don't.Cons:I'm just gonna come out and say it. I really REALLY dislike the way Gamefreak dumbed down the hell out of this game. The fact I can't turn off the EXP share is so insanely frustrating to me that I can't even put it into words. I probably whited out several times this game because I'd forget to put the Pokemon I was using back into my party because I had taken them out while I was trying to catch Pokemon to fill my dex with. I also very much dislike how they took out abilities & entire move pools for no apparent reason other than it was to make it easier for first time Pokemon players. Yet you kept Natures and IVs? Like I just don't understand the logic behind any of this. It's such a condescending way to look at younger players/Pokemon Go first timers as well. Children are not nearly as stupid as Gamefreak thinks they are. And not having some kind of hard mode or way to turn back on some of this stuff is just mind boggling. Like Nintendo can't be this inept to who plays their games right? I'd be dollars to donuts that teenagers and above make up the majority of the players of Pokemon. Or at least half of the player base. Anyway please don't EVER do anything like this again. Ever. Like I can't even being to explain how triggered I am that you took out a move like Dragon Claw for no apparent reason but decided to make the Elemental Punches TMs. Or that you added the physical/special split to Gen 1 only to cancel it out by taking away abilities. It's just frustrating. Very VERY frustrating.I'm also super triggered by the lack of Pro Controller support, the fact the motion controls are insanely wonky and don't even work properly at times, and the fact that catch rates make absolutely zero sense. If I throw a Pokeball at a green ringed Pidgey and I get excellent I should always catch that Pidgey. It's a god damn level 2 Pidgey. I also don't understand why certain Pokemon can't have their catch rates raised into the green completely. I chained Charmanders (looking for the shiny and good IVs) up to the 200's and it's still in the yellow for a normal pokeball. Whereas if I had chained say a Growlithe and got up to 200 it would be in the green. I understand Charmanders are rarer and harder to catch but c'mon Gamefreak. If you're gonna have that mechanic in the game then make it consistent, please.The online. Don't throw in a hastily put together online mode if you aren't gonna do it properly. I shouldn't have to fill out codes like it's a Mega Man X game from the SNES to be able to evolve my Haunter. Seriously it just comes across as lazy and tacked on. Like delay the game by a couple of months to give us the GTS and a proper online. I think most of us would have been okay with that.Trace. Getting really tired of super bland rival characters that I don't care about at all. He was better than Hau and the ones from X/Y but he still sucks. The Rival doesn't have to be a dick like Blue was but man at least do something differently with him. He's literally just a white version of Hau.Anyway those are my thoughts on the game right now. I didn't mean for the negatives to come across as strongly as they did because I don't want to give the impression that I disliked the game. I just have a weird love/hate relationship that leads me to being confused about how I feel. I'd love to hear what the community thinks about the game and the changes they made. You guys like I'm crazy or do you agree with me? via /r/pokemon https://ift.tt/2FTqotP
"After finishing Lets Go Pikachu I can safely say that this one of the most polarizing games I've ever played in my life." "After finishing Lets Go Pikachu I can safely say that this one of the most polarizing games I've ever played in my life." Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 20:03 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.