Ads Top

"does USUM mark the end of an era?"


Since support for the 3DS family of consoles ends in 2018, USUM will likely be the last main-line entry in the series on the 3DS family of consoles. To me, this is a big deal. I have been playing pokemon since red version in 1998. I have owned and played at least one game in every generation on every console since then.From Gameboy to 3DS, pokemon has always had the dual version model. This was intended to promote friendship by having your friend get the other version to trade and battle. This dual version model was fairly unique to pokemon (save a few other franchises that tried it like megaman etc.). It paired well with games that were almost exclusively on handhelds because of the friendship and cooperation that it encouraged. Can't catch 'em all unless you trade right?The handheld consoles have always had a reasonable price point such that it was not uncommon for there to be multiple handhelds per household and of course all of (or most of) your friends had their own too. Now that the main-line series is almost certainly moving to the switch, I believe this could mark the end of the "dual version" era of pokemon. I don't see the dual version model being a good fit for the switch. For one, it's too expensive to have more than one switch per household and no matter how anyone tries to spin it, to me, it simply is not a portable console the same way that a Gameboy or 3DS is/was.I'm sad about this because I have always had a good friend or two to share in the dual version experience of every new pokemon game since Gen 1. For the last seven years I have enjoyed this experience with my SO. For me, playing the games with my friend or SO side by side was one of the biggest attractions and sources of fun for pokemon games and I feel that USUM is the last time I will truly have this experience.Sorry for rambling. here's aTL;DR: What do you think the future holds for the main-line series of pokemon games? Do you think it will continue to have the "dual version" model if/when it moves to the switch? via /r/pokemon http://ift.tt/2ipRBpP
"does USUM mark the end of an era?" "does USUM mark the end of an era?" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 09:40 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.