Ads Top

"I had forgotten about the game's Happy Birthday animation... (serious post)"


Hello. I'm a long-time Pokémon fan who is turning 26 today and has chronic depression/anxiety.Today I was feeling very bad, and I had no idea why. I spent the entire day doing nothing but check social networks incognito, rereading one of Manic's Nuzlocke runs, rewatching Dragon Ball Super clips on YouTube (they're sorta my safe space, a glad distraction) and being overly miserable over anything that happened. Someone sent me a happy birthday message? Yeah that person hates me and just wants to save face. Someone didn't send me a happy birthday message? Yeah of course, everyone hates me. My friends forgot about me. No one had even shown a sliver of interest in the party I've set up for tomorrow. My head ached like a motherfucker, and I felt occasional shivers from god knows why. I didn't go to class, and only left the house to get breakfast. 20 hours had gone by with me feeling more and more sad, angsty, alone, whatever negative emotion you can think of.Why, CompleteWingback, you sound like you had someone murdered in front of you or something, calm down, people have lives! Yeah, that's chronic depression for you. Of course, there's more context to all this, but suffice to say I was just asking myself why the fuck wouldn't this day just end already. So I lock myself inside the bathroom and fire up my 2DS in a desperate attempt to distract myself, despite being unable to focus on anything for more than 2 seconds, and load up Ultra Sun. I'm doing a Wonderlocke challenge in there after beating the game the first time.My 2DS is old and kinda frail, so it's prone to the ol' "An Error Has Occured" message. As such, I have to handle it gently, but sometimes I forget to do so. As I play, I'm also remembering Manic's run, and how touching it is when he talks about Pokémon being his best friends and make you really connect with the characters and such. Anyway, as I'm daydreaming and grinding, my Drowzee finishes a battle on the red and I decide to go heal at the Pokémon Center.As I reach there, I'm greeted with a black screen, and start to feel angry. The black screen extends a bit, to reveal my character, and slowly lights up the room. I'm thinking all sorts of murderous thoughts now, believing this to be not an animation, but my 2DS having some sort of trouble loading up everything and on the verge of an error message...... and then... BANG. Confetti. Cute Pokémon faces. Soft music, and a message, "Happy Birthday!""I do hope this'll be a wonderful year for you. Each and every day!""I hope you'll keep visiting the Pokémon Center for years to come!"... and I just saved the game... hugged my 2DS like it was a freaking plush doll... and cried. For, like, at least 40 minutes. It felt like fucking magic, this animated sequence from a portable game that I'd even forgot existed, because I had only seen it in videos... and it made my day. Now, I'm happy, and I've talked to all of my friends, and I've cut the cake with mom and bro.As RNG as it was, I chose to believe this was fate. Thank you for listening to me, and long live Pokémon.PS: Sorry if I rambled... I really really had to share this somewhere, this seemed to be the best place to do so, but I get a little insecure because I once posted a personal post in another Nintendo game subreddit and a couple of people made fun of me, then turned my text into a shitpost. So... yeah. via /r/pokemon https://ift.tt/2IRmApT
"I had forgotten about the game's Happy Birthday animation... (serious post)" "I had forgotten about the game's Happy Birthday animation... (serious post)" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 01:51 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.