Ads Top

"Why Lillie will forever be my favorite Pokemon character - a detailed analysis"


So yes, I realize that this is really late considering SuMo came out almost two years ago, and USUM came out 9 months ago. However, whether it comes to songs, books, movies, or in this case, video games, I always try and take my time analyzing characters and storylines for further meaning. For that reason, after a lot of analysis. I ended up making a connection to Lillie that I don't think I'll ever have with another fictional character, let alone Pokemon.Many of us when we first heard of Sun And Moon assumed Lillie (like Hau ended up being) the happy-go-lucky rival or friend that wears thin. However, this wasn't the case at all. Before continuing on though, it needs to be reiterated, something people seem to forget about Lillie.Lillie was emotionally abused. And I say this as a victim of emotional abuse myself.Now admittedly, one can understand why Pokemon didn't want to outright say so, but the hints and signs are all there. The first time I knew something was up was when she asked me in Hau'oli City if I chose my outfit, or if "your mom picks all your outfits for you". Lillie essentially grew up thinking that level of controlling nature was natural. That outfit that she wore also was modeled after Nihilego, because it was the only thing her mom could do to make her "not ugly" in her eyes (as seen in the manga as well). Further on in the story, when you meet up at Aether Paradise, disowning her (and Gladion) and gaslighting her by claiming she's "wretched from running away and rejecting my love". She also then makes fun of how weak Lillie is (even though she purposefully weakened her to be reliant on her). I don't have space to write everything, obviously, but this video does a great job of explaining every piece of abuse, beat by beat to get a picture. Please watch it!That abuse is also why her character in the beginning of the story is so weak and timid, not even able to ward off little Spearows, or do so much as wear another outfit. It's what her mom taught her - that she cannot do anything without the help of others (in this case, her mom). This doesn't improve immediately as she runs away from one parental figure to another in Kukui, who while loving and caring of her doesn't do anything to break her from that.It's only on her journey with you that she grows past her abuse, and learns from watching you that YES, she can be powerful, YES, she can save her friends and YES she can make an impact in the world. Later in the story, where you were dragging her along, you're trying to catch up to her. She finds herself on a bridge surrounded by small bird Pokemon again, but unlike last time, she runs past them and doesn't see them as a threat. Her growth, particularly in the second half of the story is SO DAMN SATISFYING - all starting with her changing her outfit past what Lusamine made her wear, to the scene where she confronts her mother for all of her abuse in Ultra Space. And this is why the scene where she confronts her mother SO SATISFYING. After receiving even more verbal abuse, she talks down to her mother, breaking down every single thing she's done to mistreat and abuse both herself AND Gladion. By the end of the main game, she's off to Kanto not only to help her mother but to become a trainer, something she thought she could never do until she met you, the protagonist.And the even more tragic part is that a lot of Lusamine's crazed actions that don't make sense do when you consider Nihilego and its' neurotoxins. Before, Lusamine had been the lovely Pokemon conservationist that we all thought she initially was - but it was Nihilego who stole her husband, Mohn. She initially found herself obsessed with the beast, simply as a way to get her husband back, but when she made it back to Ultra Space, the neurotoxins took over when she confronted Nihilego, and changed her brain in perverse ways. The feeling it provided her was addicting, and it caused her to be so narrow-minded on Ultra Beasts that anything in the way, including her own kids became bothers and things in the way to her goals. It even led her to side with the criminal organization of Alola to help her get her goals. Now, this isn't to say what she did, including the abuse wasn't wrong - it totally was, and it's why she's my favorite villain to date. Her characters abusive attitude towards Lillie is one of, if not the most detestable things done by anyone in confirmed canon. However, part of this was thanks to the neurotoxins that altered her brain past who she was. As this one redditor puts it, her character is one of the most tragic in Pokemon history..Now how does this relate back to me? I did promise that after all at the beginning. Thing is - I myself find myself as Lillie and my mother as Lusamine. See, my mother has dealt with substance abuse all her life, from many different illicit drugs. Not only has this had an impact on me growing up, but her attitude thanks to what the drugs have done to her mind have turned her into an abusive, toxic person who has gaslighted me and made me feel weak and powerless in my own life thanks to said abuse. I can draw a direct parallel between my story and Lillie's. A mother poisoned by chemicals that altered her state of mind, and turned her into a horrible person who abused her daughter and led her to long-term psychological problems to work through. In a way, I see so much of myself in Lillie, and vice versa.For that reason, I will always have a connection to Lillie, as my Pokemon duplicate. Unfortunately, I'm in the process of recovery, and my Sun/Moon, as it were, hasn't come to save me quite yet. Regardless, it's insane how through the abstraction of Ultra Beasts, Pokemon was able to tell a story that relates well to so many in the real world. I cheered like mad when Lillie confronted her mother, and cried when Lillie left me for Kanto, and to rehabilitate her mother. Never before EVER have I connected so much with a character - and so I think she'll always be with me in a way. And I'll forever be hoping I'll see her again in a future installment!PS: Fuck anyone who complains that Lillie is weak and helpless, and instead takes Lusamine's side, like with TheKingNappy https://youtu.be/vyTPkzMV-WM?t=2m7s as much as I respect his work. So many Let's Players I watch A-spam through the story, and miss the subtle parts of Lillie's story and mistake her with other shiny happy, helpless, companions who always need your help, and support Lusamine's dressing down of her at the Aether Paradise. Fuck that. via /r/pokemon https://ift.tt/2K0qgW7
"Why Lillie will forever be my favorite Pokemon character - a detailed analysis" "Why Lillie will forever be my favorite Pokemon character - a detailed analysis" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 19:42 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.