Ads Top

"Getting Defog on a Fomantis is Tough"


So I've been in the process of making a team for fun in Moon, and one of the Pokemon I need was a Fomantis with its egg move Defog. Well, Defog can only be given to it if the dad is a Shiftry, and the only way to get Defog on Shiftry is by transfer.Now, I thought this would be fairly easy. I own every core game from Ruby/Sapphire to Sun/Moon, so I should have the resources to do everything. I thought I would start by catching a Seedot in Ruby and transferring it up to Platinum. Two things about that: I'm on vacation and don't actually have Platinum on me, but Seedot is obtainable in the Gen. 4 game's dual-slot mode, so I thought I'd use that.I plug in my Diamond and find I'm only one trainer away from getting to Victory Road. Simple, I beat him, heal up, and head to Eterna Forest and start searching. I see Murkrow, Budew, Wurmple, but no Seedot. I start to get suspicious, and go to Bulbapedia to look up specifics on duel-slot mode. Turns out, duel-slot mode only works if you have the National Pokedex, which I lack in Diamond. Perfect.Fear not, as my completed Heartgold version has access to Seedot too, and all I have to do is Headbutt some trees in Viridian Forest. Cool. So I start Headbutting every tree I can see, and nothing is coming out until I've done it 12 times. Boom! It's a Seedot, first try! ...And it's female... So I run and try Headbutting the tree 20 more times. Hoothoot and Shroomish galore. Now I wonder if the species is more common on different trees, like how the honey trees work in DPPt. Sure enough, there's a video of some guy finding Seedot on a specific tree and it works in my game. Only a few more encounters until I find the male Seedot I need to transfer and breed.The next part is easy. Since I can't teach Defog in Heartgold, I'll just evolve the Seedot in Heartgold and trade it to Diamond and transfer it from there. I level it up to 14 and evolve it with no problems. Now it's time to trade. It takes me a while to set this up, because I'm used to the post-Black/White games where you can trade from the PC and not have to deal with ball capsules that I was using for whatever reason. Anyways, I trade Nuzleaf over just fine, evolve it, and teach it Defog. I box it, save, and turn off the DS.Next, I boot up Black 2 on my 3DS and prep the Poketransfer thing. The systems connect and I go to Shiftry's box... where it's blacked out. "This Pokemon knows an HM move, so it cannot be transferred." Perfect... Well, the easy work around is to trade it back to Heartgold and transfer from there. I boot up my third DS and trade them, no problem. Now I try the Poketransfer again. Shiftry's not blacked out! But I still need 5 more Pokemon or else I can't transfer, and I have no throwaways in that game! Time to catch some!Now, what a normal person would do is go to the first route and chuck Ultra Balls and Sentret and Pidgey. Not me, I wanna have some fun. I miss the Safari Zone and its deal of 30 balls for 500, so I go there. The fun thing I forgot about the Safari Zone is that it's a chore to catch anything, so it takes me 28 tries to catch only 5 Pokemon. Yeah, fun.Third times the charm for the Poketransfer. I boot it up, do the minigame, transfer everything up. Save, turn off, go to Poke Transporter. Move the Shiftry to Pokemon Bank, open Pokemon Bank, move Shiftry to Pokemon Moon. It's 3 am. I save and turn off.And that is my tale of minor frustrations trying to get one egg move on one subpar Pokemon just for fun. I haven't even begun breeding yet, but that should be a blast. Regardless, by the end of it I'll probably have a bunch of HA Fomantis with Defog that I'll need to get rid of. I know this isn't the trade forum, but I want to extend in advance that I'll be trading rejects away, so just ask if you want one.I guess my other point for making this post is to just point out how long it takes get one Pokemon perfect. I mean, if Heartgold wasn't even beaten I would have had to beat Diamond to do that, which for me was all of Victory Road and the Elite Four. And thank God I already had Black 2 done, plus the work of finding and catching a HA Fomantis and earning enough BP to afford everything I need to breed efficiently. And of course, I consider myself lucky to have so many DSs. Because of that I didn't need to be constantly swapping game cards. And I already have purchased Pokemon Bank for a year... It's just a lot. For a newer player or for someone who just can't afford to keep all of those games and systems I know this process would be a lot tougher, and I'm sorry for it. I'm sure all this work will make getting that perfect Fomantis more worth it in the end, but it is still ridiculous that they'd intentionally make it this difficult. It isn't even a challenge from the game, it's just about whether you have all of the components for the process. I hope they amend stuff like this in the future to make it easier for people, but I guess until then you can always just trade with someone who doesn't mind torturing themselves to go through that process (me).If you made it down this far, I want to thank you for reading. I know at times I rambled, but I just want everyone to see all the steps for a process like this. By the way, this took me 2 and a half hours to do. I could've spent less time doing this if I wasn't so stupid, but we all have our faults. via /r/pokemon http://ift.tt/2ulm9jm
"Getting Defog on a Fomantis is Tough" "Getting Defog on a Fomantis is Tough" Reviewed by The Pokémonger on 01:39 Rating: 5

No comments

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the space of Pokémonger! We're all grateful to Pokémon & Niantic for developing Pokémon GO. This site is made up of fan posts, updates, tips and memes curated from the web! This site is not affiliated with Pokémon GO or its makers, just a fan site collecting everything a fan would like. Drop a word if you want to feature anything! Cheers.